- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 13 2017
Blood in Semen (Hematospermia)
Does your ejaculation have blood in it? Is this normal? What causes it? Let’s learn more about it. This phenomenon is known as Hematospermia. It is common for men under the age of 40 where it shows no symptoms or risk factors for underlying medical conditions. But for men over 40, it needs immediate attention and treatment.
Symptoms of Hematospermia
- Blood in urine
- Mild/Excruciating pain while urinating
- Tenderness in the testes and/or scrotum
- Pain with ejaculation
- Lower front/back pain
- Swelling of the testes and/or scrotum
- Swelling in the groin area
Causes of Hematospermia
1. Medical procedure
After a medical procedure (e.g. prostate biopsy), blood in semen is quite common. Mild trauma caused by small or big procedures like radiation therapy, vasectomy, and injections for haemorrhoids can also lead to temporary bleeding.
2. Infection and inflammation
Blood due to infection (STI, sexually transmitted infection) or inflammation is the most common cause of blood in the semen. Infections can occur in the:
- Urethra Epididymis
- Vas deferens
- Seminal vesicles
3. Tumors and Polyps
Tumors in the prostate can also cause blood in semen. Benign growths like polyps in the reproductive tract are also another culprit.
4. Blood vessels
Any problems (like obstructions or damage) in the blood vessels in and around your privates can result in blood in your semen.
- Consulting the doctor before self-medication is the first step to treatment. The doctor will point out the possible cause and treat the condition that causes it.
- If the condition is due to an infection then antibiotics are the best form of medication.
- The swelling/inflammation can be uneasy therefore, an anti-inflammatory medication can be prescribed for it.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.