- by Manipal Hospitals
- 0 Shares
- May 25 2017
Benefits Of Maxillofacial Surgery
The jaw is considered as the foundation of the facial structure. A misaligned jaw (jaw that is protruded outward or recessed inward), can affect your overall health. Although this condition seems to be harmless, several studies have suggested that the patients with these types of abnormality are more prone to psychological and emotional problems.
How is the surgery performed?
The maxillofacial surgery involves repositioning your jawbones according to your preferences. Bones are reshaped, added, or removed in some cases. During the surgery, your surgeon uses surgical plates, wires, screws, and rubber bands to hold the jaws in the new position. Most often, a maxillofacial surgery is performed by making the incision inside your mouth to reduce visible scarring. Despite that, some patients may require small incisions outside of the mouth on the face.
What are the benefits of maxillofacial surgery?
With maxillofacial surgery, you may experience a dramatic enhancement of your facial appearance and speaking. Also, it can have positive effects on many other aspects of your life. Following are the issues corrected by a maxillofacial surgery:
- Chewing: If the misaligned jaw were creating a problem with chewing or swallowing food, then maxillofacial surgery would help you relieve those problems. Correcting your jaw with a surgery makes daily activities such as eating more pleasurable.
- Speech: The misalignment of the teeth and jaw affects your speech. This is an important issue to focus on, especially in children as they learn to speak and pronounce words. Maxillofacial surgery can improve the speech and prevent inconvenience.
- Headaches: In most cases, a misaligned jaw may lead to headaches and pain. Corrective jaw surgery eliminates the pain and you may require lesser pain medications.
- Sleeping: Many patients who have a jaw that protrudes outward or recesses inward are mouth breathers and may experience problems with breathing and sleeping. Maxillofacial surgery can resolve problems such as sleep apnea. This allows you to take adequate rest and provides energy for a productive lifestyle.
- Joint pain: You might have experienced chronic jaw pain due to a misaligned jaw. With maxillofacial surgery, you are relieved from this sort of pain. A misaligned jaw may also cause your teeth to remain as under and keeps your mouth open. This leads to strain being placed on your teeth. Jaw surgery helps you relieve the pressure and makes you feel comfortable.
You may have been born with a misaligned jaw, but you don’t have to live with it. Many corrective measures are available to help you get an aesthetic and functional jaw.
© Copyright MANIPAL HOSPITALS
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.