- by Jiyo Natural
- 4 Shares
- Dec 01 2017
Benefits of Jaggery
It made from the juice of sugarcane, which is heated to produce thick crystals. It contains sugar in sucrose from and is used in many food products as a sweetening agent. It is considered healthier than refined sugar as certain plant phytochemicals and minerals are preserved in it. It is also known as “Gur” in Hindi, “Bellam” in Telugu, “Vellam” in Tamil, “Sharkara” in Malayalam, “Bella” in Kannada, and “Gul” in Marathi.
About 70% of the world’s jaggery production takes place in India.
It contains molasses, which are the nutritious by-product of the sugar making process, which is usually removed when making refined sugar. According to one source, 100 grams of jaggery may contain:
- Calories: 383
- Sucrose: 65-85 grams
- Fructose and glucose: 10-15 grams
- Protein: 0.4 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Iron: 11mg, or 61% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 70-90 mg, or about 20% of the RDI.
Benefits of Jaggery
- Take a few grams of jaggery after a heavy meal or after eating meat because it facilitates digestion. It activates the digestive enzymes in the stomach, thereby speeding up digestion and making the process smooth.
- It effectively cleans the respiratory tracts, lungs, food pipe, stomach, and intestines.
- Jaggery is a very good source of minerals for the body.
- It helps in purifying the whole blood.
- It helps in enhancing total blood hemoglobin count and boosts immunity thus prevents many blood-related problems and disorders.
- It properly nourishes and strengthens the bones and joints by reducing joints pain and other bone problems.
- It makes skin free of wrinkles and spots free by curing problems of a pimple and acne.
- It provides relief from the stomach pain during periods.
- It prevents anemia.
- Eating gur with amla powder on regular basis helps in enhancing quality and quantity of semen, reducing weakness, energizing the body and treating urinary disorders among men.
- It has high levels of mineral content especially potassium level helps in managing weight by reducing the extra water retention in the body.
- It fights with symptoms of cold and flu.
- It boosts immunity as it is loaded with antioxidants and minerals such as zinc and selenium, which in turn help prevent free radical damage and also boost resistance against infections.
- It has potassium and sodium, which play an important role in the maintenance of acid levels in the body.
It is however suggested to consume jaggery in moderation, as it slightly higher in calories, maintaining up to 4 kcal/gram.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.