Ayurvedic treatment for osteoarthritis
Medikoe Wellness Expert
80 feet road indira nagar, Bengaluru Dec 19, 2018
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that occurs due to the breakdown of cartilage and underlying bone. It is a very common condition which worsens with age, if not taken care of, and causes pain and stiffness in the joints. Though medication, physiotherapy, and surgery are popular treatment methods for osteoarthritis, there are certain ayurvedic remedies too, which can help in the treatment of osteoarthritis. The advantage of ayurvedic remedies over other conventional remedies is that it has no side effect on the body.
According to ayurveda, a person suffering from osteoarthritis should follow the given guidelines:
- Ghee and oil should be consumed regularly for lubrication of joints.
- Food should always be consumed when it is fresh.
- Consume ample amount of hot soups of lentils and pulses with added ginger and pepper.
- Eat plenty of sour fruits.
- Avoid eating excessive quantities of potatoes and cruciferous vegetables.
Herbs and medicines:
The following herbs and medicines, as prescribed by ayurveda, can help in the treatment of osteoarthritis:
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. It helps in reducing the inflammation in various parts of the body, including the joints, and hence is recommended.
- Ashwagandha, a very popular ayurvedic herb, is also known for anti-inflammatory properties and can be used for management of osteoarthritis.
- Triphala, an ancient mixture of three herbs, has been traditionally used to treat osteoarthritis.
- Guggulu, another ayurvedic herb, helps in decreasing inflammation and reduces the swelling of bones.
Besides diet and medicinal recommendations, there are various ayurvedic practices which have shown to immensely benefit people suffering from osteoarthritis. Ayurvedic treatments like abhyanga, lepa, virechana, and basti which broadly include massaging with specific oils and applying a paste to the affected area help reduce joint pain, stiffness, increase blood flow, and are very helpful in the management and treatment of osteoarthritis.