- by Dr Chaithanya KS
- 0 Shares
- Feb 20 2018
Ayurveda for Psoriatic Arthritis Treatment
Psoriasis is an autoimmune skin disease which causes abnormally patchy skin. Psoriatic arthritis is a developed complication of Psoriasis which could develop individually even without the skin disease.
This disease causes scaly patches that are red and itchy found on elbows knees feet etc. So, it is a combined condition of both psoriasis and arthritis.
- Ayurveda approaches Psoriatic arthritis as a combination of Vatarakta and Kushta.
- Vatarakta refers to joint disorders caused due to Vata imbalance and morbid blood while Kushta refers to skin disorders.
- According to theories of Ayurveda, certain skin diseases are closely related to joint disorders and can be dealt with similar treatment patterns.
Depending on the kind of issue, Vatarakta, Kushta or a combination of both are used. If the psoriasis is evident combined with joint pain, Kushta treatment is used. In case the skin has been treated but arthritis develops after, Vatarakta is preferred and in cases of diagnosed psoriatic arthritis, a combination of both is used.
Uttana vatarakta is the line of treatment opted for in the cases where the person has skin psoriasis with arthritis developing in the backdrop. This treatment uses:
- Lepa- specially formulated medicinal paste application
- Abhyanga massage
- Parisheka- pouring medicinal liquids on the affected areas
- Avagahana- dipping affected parts in medicinal liquids
- Panchakarma treatments- Virechana and Basti
Depending on which dosha is prominent, Kushta chikitsa has various approaches:
- Vata predominance- Sarpi i.i intake of special, medicated ghee
- Kapha predominance- Therapeutic emesis
- Pitta predominance- raktamokshana or virechana i.e therapeutic purgation and blood letting
These approaches help reduce inflammation, joint pains and detoxifies the body bringing overall relief to the patient.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.