- by Dr Chaithanya KS
- 0 Shares
- Aug 03 2017
Ayurveda for Healthy Hair
Hair is one of the most prominent aspect of one’s appearance. But unfortunately, the cases of hairfall, degrading quality of hair etc are on the rise due to a number of factors. But the science of ayurveda has natural and authentic solutions for healthy hair.
Ayurvedic understanding of healthy hair:
According to ayurveda, your hair quality is indicative of your overall health and the constitution of three basic doshas- kapha, vata, and pitta. The hair quality and hair problems reflect the imbalance or excess of one or more of these doshas:
- Excess vata: hair is dry, brittle, and lacks lustre. It also inhibits hair growth, causes split ends, and hairfall.
- Excess pitta: it causes excess heat in the scalp and follicles leading to hair loss, greying of hair, and baldness.
- Excess kapha: it makes the hair thick, very oily and heavy.
Besides diet intake and lifestyle which make changes in doshas, stress is another modern day contributing factor to the declining hair quality.
Ayurvedic herbs for healthy hair:
The following medicinal and herbal plants are recommended by ayurveda for healthy hair:
- Bhringraj: also known as the king of the herbs, bhringraj creates affinity for the roots of the hair. It has a cooling effect overall, and increases hair density and encourages hair growth. Due to its cooling property, it lessens the effect of excess pitta which may cause early hair loss.
- Amalakai: it has a similar cooling effect to that of bhringraj and prevents early hair fall. It also increases the affinity in the scalp as well as bones in the body.
- Reetha (soap nuts): it has been used for centuries to promote hair growth. It is a natural shampoo which increases the density and volume of the hair without removing the natural oils from the hair.
- Shikakai: it is very rich in antioxidants and when combined with water, it forms lather which can effectively clean the hair. The antioxidants help in restoring scalp quality and treat hair fall.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.