- by Jiyo Natural
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
At Jiyo Natural we recommend Oily Food for a fitter Heart!
Cholesterol! When one utters that word, it might give us pictures of excess oil, fat, obesity, heart problems and the like. Some directly related cholesterol with ‘OIL’! These thoughts are followed by pictures of an early morning jog, run or walk. Music and podcasts on earphones and one is off to reduce cholesterol – jogging, exercising, running, walking etc For some who are a little ‘over reading’ on cholesterol will take this discussion further and say is it LDL or HDL and Triglycerides? So what does this mean?
- LDL (bad) cholesterol--the main source of cholesterol buildup and blockage in the arteries
- HDL (good) cholesterol--helps keep cholesterol from building up in the arteries
- Triglycerides--another form of fat in your blood
Knowing that, at Jiyo Natural, we recommend – Oily food, especially for a fitter heart. Yes, you read it right! Certain ‘types of oily food’ are good for the heart. Oily foods given below helps to bring down LDL and improves HDL thereby protecting the heart and keeping it fit:
1. Almonds, Walnuts and flax seeds– Crunchy nuts like almonds and walnuts are a good source of essential fatty acids such as omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. A handful of almonds and/walnuts and a tablespoon of flax seeds provide about 4g of omega-6 fats which has been known to offer some protection from heart disease. Studies conducted at AIIMS showed that almonds decrease cholesterol concentration and improve platelet function.
2. Soyabean/soyabean oil – apart from being a good source of omega-3 fats, soyabean and its products are high with phytonutrients and antioxidants which protects the heart from the harmful effects of free radicals. Also soya beans have been known to reduce the total cholesterol in blood preventing plaque formation and thereby protecting the heart.
3. Olive oil – Although not local to India, olive oil is very popular in UK. A low intake of animal fats and a high intake of olive oil is thought to contribute to the low rate of heart disease in Mediterranean countries such as Greece, Italy, and Spain. The best way to use olive oil is as a dressing for salads or while preparing pasta and noodles.
4. Vegetable Oil – One of the best oil to be used for cooking purposes is Rice bran oil.
Rice bran oil is a very good source of Vitamin E which is a potent antioxidant. Besides, that Vitamin E reduces platelet aggregation and plaque formation in the arteries which are supposed to be one of the major reason for heart attack or stroke. Apart from rice bran oil, a certain combination of oils are very effective in protecting the heart. For example, a combination of sunflower and rice bran oil or safflower oil and palmolein oil and so on.
The above knowledge can be practically used in our daily routine. For example, having salads with nuts and olive oil based dressing every day before having lunch or dinner provides not only the essential nutrients but also provides the essential fats to protect the heart. Including soy products like tofu, soya milk etc provides protein as well. Tofu is a good replacement to paneer which is high in saturated fat. Replacing groundnut oil with the right combination of oil mentioned above goes a long way in protecting the health of the whole family.
So eat right and eat smart! This is the best way to keep your heart in excellent shape and keep it working smoothly. If you still have queries on having a fitter and healthier heart, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org. After all at Jiyo Natural, the emphasis is on a fitter heart than a healthier heart!
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.