- by Manipal Hospitals
- 0 Shares
- Aug 16 2017
An overview on the problem of snoring
Snoring is a common occurrence and we never really give it much thought. However, it is important to understand that snoring is a medical condition, which not only affects the quality and quantity of your sleep but also may lead to conditions like daytime fatigue, irritability and increased health problems.
Why do we snore?
Any obstruction in the free passage of air in the nasal tract during sleeping causes snoring. This could also be a result of problems like sinusitis, obesity or smoking habits.
Snoring could be loosely categorized in the following way:
- Closed Mouth – People, who snore with their mouths closed, may have some problems with their tongue.
- Open Mouth – Open mouth snoring indicates an issue with the throat muscles.
- Mild Snoring – It usually occurs in people who sleep on their back. However, it is not serious and can be cured easily by changing sleeping postures.
- Heavy snoring – If you are snoring heavily, whenever you sleep, it’s time that you consult your doctor.
Sleep Apnea and Snoring:
Many a times we confuse snoring with sleep apnea. If you are having any disturbance in our breathing pattern while sleeping, it could be because of sleep apnea. Though snoring is a common symptom for sleep apnea, it does not mean, everyone who has a snoring habit suffers from sleep apnea. However, if you are snoring very loudly, it could be because of apnea and needs immediate medical attention. Otherwise it could lead to serious health conditions like high blood pressure and even cardiac arrest.
Things that you can try yourself to prevent snoring:
- Sleep Sideways – Sleeping sideways eases tensions in neck and significantly reduces snoring.
- Lose Weight – Obesity is one of the prime causes behind snoring. If there is fat accumulation in the region surrounding the neck, it could come in the way of free passage of air and cause snoring. Hence, losing weight may help to reduce snoring.
- No Alcohol – Excessive alcohol weakens your central nervous system and in turns the strains the muscles around our neck. This might result in snoring.
- Do not smoke – its not only about snoring, it can affect your general health as such.
- De – stress – It is very important that you keep yourself stress free and relaxed. This will result in a deep sleep sans snoring.
- Sleeping position – Keep your head in an elevated position when you sleep. This will reduce the pressure from the airway and have a snore free sleep.
- Keep your surroundings clean – Keep your surroundings clean and dust free. Allergens are one of the major causes behind snoring.
- Be hydrated – Drink plenty of water throughout the day to prevent yourself from snoring.
The first step to solving a snoring problem is to find the cause of your snoring. A medical professional can help you identify the root cause for this condition. Manipal Hospital offers advanced and comprehensive treatments for snoring and other conditions related to your ear, nose and throat.
© Copyright MANIPAL HOSPITALS
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.