An Ayurvedic Perspective to Treat Endometriosis
Dr Pardeep Kumar Vashisth
Gurgaon, Gurgaon Apr 24, 2019
Normal pain and discomfort are common during menstruation, but if the pain is extreme, then you must have encountered Endometriosis. Endometriosis is a condition where endometrial cells from the uterus lining grow outside of it. This happens due to the movement of endometrial debris upward through the fallopian tube instead of downward through the vagina.
Possible locations of endometriosis are:
- The most common site is ovary
- Front and back of the uterus
- Fallopian tube
- Pelvic walls
- Urinary bladder and ureters
- Uterine ligaments
Causes of Endometriosis
- Genetics: This can be inherited from mother to daughter.
- Aging: Mostly, it occurs in post-menopausal women, and in the least cases, it can be seen in girls before they even reach menarche.
- Impaired immune system: When women have retrograde menstrual flow, their immune system is capable of preventing implantation, clearing the debris properly, and growing the cells from this occurrence. However, an impaired immune system with retrograde menstruation can lead to endometriosis.
- Environmental toxins: They may cause hormonal and immune disruption that leads to endometriosis. Dioxin, a toxin that generates due to the consumer and industrial processes have been one of the significant reasons for causing endometriosis.
- Retrograde menstruation: During menstruation, the endometrial debris (some part of it) exits the uterus through fallopian tubes and remains in the surface lining of the peritoneal surface (abdominal cavity) and develops tissue that is called as endometriosis.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis
Signs and symptoms associated with endometriosis are described in Ayurveda under the heading vataja yonivyapadh and udavartha. From an Ayurvedic point of view, Apana Vata is considered as the most influential agent that directs and governs the downward movement of wind and initiates in eliminating impulses such as bowel movements, urination, childbirth, ejaculation, and menstruation.
When Apana Vata gets disturbed due to lack of exercise, sedentary lifestyle, fitful sleep, mental tensions, stressful professional atmosphere, and unhealthy food habits, it causes retrograde menstruation. When Kapha dosha and pitta dosha disturbed, it leads to abnormal growth of endometrium and hormonal imbalance respectively. Therefore, it is necessary to restore the physiology of these doshas through purification.
Purification or Shodhanas is a procedure of detoxifying. They include svedana, snehana, virechana, Vamana, and basti.
- Svedana: It involves a tub bath and steam bath with pain alleviating medicines. It helps in relieving the pain.
- Snehana: In this procedure, oil is used externally through body massage and medicated ghee or l=oil such as sapthasara ghritham, trivrit sneha, indukantha ghritham, etc is used as internal administration.
- Virechana: This is a procedure in which as prophylaxis, mild purgative drugs such as Vaishvanara Churna, Sukumara Eranda taila, Avipattikar Churna, Gandharva-hasthadi Kashayam, are administrated seven days before periods. It helps in controlling the pain and also helps in maintaining the proper functioning of pitta dosha. Moreover, it restores the imbalance of hormones and allows the downward movement of apana vata to prevent retrograde menstruation.
- Basti: This procedure involves injecting medicated liquids through vaginal and anal route such as dashamoola ksheera siddha basti, dhanvantara taila anuvasana basti, yapana basti, gandharvahasthadi kashaya basti, etc. Through yapana basti, both oleation of anuvasana basti and cleansing of niruha basti is performed, which removes the obstruction in the passage, increases the receptivity of genital tracts to the entry of sperms, and facilitates proper coitus without pain, thus improving fertility.
Benefits of Shodhana:
- It restores body tissues
- It removes toxins
- It enhances the mental faculties, vitality, and strength
- Biological systems return to normality
- It strengthens the pharmacological actions of internal medicines
- Fine tunes the endocrine system
- It improves physiological functions and gut absorption.
- It corrects improper metabolism
- It promotes fertility
Looking for health professionals near you? Medikoe helps you find and connect with the most qualified and experienced doctors near you. Have a quick question pertaining to your health? Get it answered for free by experts within 24 hours on Medikoe.