- by Dr Chaithanya Ks
- 0 Shares
- Jan 12 2018
An Ayurvedic Herb: Aristolochia indica
This endangered and rare medicinal plant has glabrous, shrubby or herbaceous perennial plant with woody root stock and long, slender, grooved, glabrous branches. The flower of this plant has bad odor and leaves are light purple in color. The fruit has six valves and shallow grooves which contain several triangular seeds. The bark has light yellow color and is highly porous. Rhizomes, leaves, and roots of the plant are used as medicine. It is found mostly in the Himalayan belt near Nepal, South India, and Bengal up to an altitude of 3000 feet.
Its common name are, Indian Birthwort, Duck flower and in Hindi it is called as, Hooka-bel, in Gujrati, “Arkmula”, in Kannada, “Isvaberusa”, in Malayalam, “Urikizhangu” Garudakkoti”, “Kudukkamooli”, in Sanskrit, “Gandhanakuli”.
Species: A. indica
- It is pungent, bitter and works as an astringent.
- It is light for digestion and dry in nature.
- Its potency is hot.
- It reduces vitiated kapha and vata dosha.
It contains aristolochic acids and aristolactams. Its roots contains Aristochine, Aristolochine, Ishwaronw, Aristolochine acid, Ishwarane, Cephaeradiones and Aritistolindiquinone.
The root comprises of a crystalline substance, a glucoside, isoarisolochic acid, carbonyl compounds, allantoin and small amount of oil.
Benefits of Aristolochia indica
- It is used for dropsy, leukoderma, tonsillitis and chronic dyspepsia.
- It is used to treat fever, indigestion and digestive disorders.
- It is used to reduce pain and swelling.
- To reduce headache.
- It is used to induce vomiting and remove the excessive kapha dosha.
- To treat dysmenorrhea and difficulty in labor.
- To treat retention of urine.
- To induce vomiting in case of poisoning from scorpion bite and snake bite.
- To get relieve from skin diseases.
- It is helpful in reducing blood pressure and regulating it in a healthy way.
Though it is helpful in many ways, it has to be remembered that it is nephrotoxic and carcinogenic.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.