- by Medikoe Health Expert
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
All you need to know about Breast Cancer
What Is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer refers to cancer cells that develop from the breast tissue. These cancer cells invade surrounding tissues or spread to other parts of the body.
What Causes Breast Cancer?
There is no known cause of breast cancer. You have a greater than usual risk of developing breast cancer if you:
- Are over the age of 50
- Have had a family history of breast cancer
- Have had breast cancer before
- Never had a child
- Have your first child after the age of 30
- Began menstruation before 12 years of age
- Have nipple discharge and aren’t pregnant or nursing
- Are overweight
Why Is Early Detection Important?
Detecting breast cancer early means that you have more treatment options and your chances of survival are better. More importantly, when cancer is diagnosed early, the level of physical and emotional trauma is reduced as the treatment does not need to be as aggressive.
How To Reduce The Risk?
- Minimize alcohol consumption
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain ideal body weight
- Plan for a child before the age of 30
- Breastfeed for total 24 months or longer
- Check if you have a family history of breast cancer
Remember, it is mandatory to have:
- Monthly Brest Self Examination
- Yearly breast examination by a doctor
- Yearly mammogram after the age of 50
What Is The Treatment For Breast Cancer?
Your doctor will plan your treatment by taking into consideration a number of factors, such as your age, general health, the severity/ stage of cancer, etc. Treatment options include:
- Hormone therapy
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.