You Stand a Higher Than 70% Chance of Becoming Obese
Domlur, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
And so do I. So do my neighbours, my kids, parents, the help at home. Everyone.
Unreal as that might sound, even BS to some, it’s based on the fact that worldwide we are losing our fight against obesity. India has steadily eaten its way to the top and now counts among the top 5 most obese nation worldwide. Top 5. As part and parcel of an obese nation, how safe are you and I from tilting the scale to our disadvantage?
Obesity is an epidemic, a complex problem. Preventing obesity requires not a single solution but a multifaceted approach. State and local organisations, business and community leaders, school, childcare and healthcare professionals, and individuals must be involved to create an environment that supports a healthy lifestyle to overcome this epidemic.
The key to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight isn't short-term dietary changes; it's about a lifestyle that includes healthy eating and regular physical activity.
Obesity can be prevented by adhering to the following:
- Monitoring Weight Status. BMI and waist circumference are two parameters to determine weight status and potential disease risk. A high BMI could indicate a high body fat composition.
The way you approach weight loss determines the success of weight management. Setting the right goals and focusing on lifestyle changes such as following a healthy eating plan, controlling portion sizes, adopting a physically active lifestyle is more effective than just focussing on weight loss alone.
Small changes can make a big difference to your health
- Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables: Choose red, orange, and dark-green vegetables like tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and broccoli, along with other vegetables for your meals. Add fruit to meals as part of main or side dishes or as dessert. The more colourful you make your plate, the more likely you are to get the vitamins, minerals, and fiber your body needs to be healthy.
- Opt for whole grains: Switch from refined to whole grains like "whole wheat," "brown rice," "oatmeal," "rolled oats," quinoa," or "millets."
- Swap Whole milk with fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk: Both have the same amount of calcium and other essential nutrients as whole milk, but fewer calories and less saturated fat.
- Pick lean protein foods: When including meat, and poultry, select leaner cuts. Avoid foods like fried chicken and fish/ meat and opt for baked and grilled meat.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks: Cut calories by drinking water or unsweetened beverages. Carbonated drinks, energy drinks, and sports drinks are a major source of added sugar Try adding a slice of lemon, lime, jaljeera or watermelon to your glass of water if you want some flavour.
- Cut back on solid fats and Fried Foods: Eat fewer foods that contain solid fat; foods made with trans-fat( Butter and margarine ) like processed and baked foods. Use healthier options like hung curd/curd and lime juice salad dressings instead of mayonnaise. Avoid fried foods like samosas, potato wedges, french fries, poories etc. and snack on healthy foods like nuts and,sprouts.
- Eat some seafood: Seafood includes fish (such as salmon, tuna, and trout) and shellfish (such as crab, mussels, and oysters). Fish have protein, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids (heart-healthy fat) which are considered healthy.
- Physical Activity
People are less active today than they were decades ago, due to urbanisation and technological advance. The flip side of this decrease in physical activity is an increase in sedentary activities-watching television, playing video games, and using the computer, all of which are contributing factors to obesity. Exercise can help promote weight loss, but it works best when combined with a hypocaloric diet.
Physical activity prevents obesity in multiple ways:
- Physical activity increases total energy expenditure of a person , which aids in energy balance or in losing weight, provided the person doesn’t eat more to compensate for the extra calories lost.
- Physical activity helps to reduce fat around the waist and total body fat, thus slowing the development of abdominal obesity.
- Weight lifting, push-ups, and other muscle-strengthening activities build muscle mass. This results in an increase in metabolism throughout the day even when you're at rest, making it easier to control weight.
- Physical activity reduces depression and anxiety, and this mood boost may motivate people to stick with their exercise regimens over time.
Increase Awareness of parents to childhood obesity
According to a research study, parents of obese kids often don’t recognise that their kids are overweight, and a majority feels their obese children are “just right”. Parents who do not recognise weight problems in their children are less likely to take steps to change their children’s unhealthy lifestyles and to prevent obesity. Making parents aware that obesity is a health problem might be the first step in promoting a healthy lifestyle and a healthy body weight among school-aged children.
At GROW, we are changing lives. And we are doing this by equipping our clients with the right tools and resources to overcome their fight against obesity. Amongst the tools and resources, we also customise plans based on research and follow the principles of the DASH diet alternating with the TLC diet.
With us - you lose weight , regain stamina and get your active life back again. Our customer testimonials help us to recommit to our vision of a nutritionally intelligent nation. We team up with you in your journey to health via our app. You can also find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Be happy to meet you soon.