- by Bangalore Baptist Hospital
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
What Is Dry Eye?
Tears coat the outer surface of the eye and help the eye to stay moist, clean, and maintain clear vision.
Dry eye is a condition where the tears are not enough or are of poor quality, causing dry spots to develop on the surface and make eye uncomfortable.
What Are The Symptoms Of Dry Eye?
- Sandy or gritty feeling in eyes
- Stinging or burning
- Blurred vision
- Excessive watering
- The eyes may seem to have lost their normal clearness and luster
- Excess mucous in eyes
What Tests May Be Done?
- Slit lamp examination under high magnification
- Schirmer test – wetting of tiny strip of paper on the edge of lower eyelids
- Flourescein or Rose Bengal Staining
- Tear break up time
What Is The Treatment For Dry Eye?
- Cause for the dry eye is treated
- Infections of the eyelids is treated
- Artificial tears, gels, ointment are given to soothe the eyes and provide relief
- Plugging the holes (Punctum) which drain tears from eye to the nose
What Are The Precautions For Dry Eye?
- Consume food rich in Omega 3 Fatty acids
- Use contact lens of good quality
- Lower the computer screen to below eye level
- Take regular breaks and blink frequently during long sessions in front of the computer
- Avoid smoke, dust, air conditioners, heaters