- by Diabetacare 24x7 Diabetes Care
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Type 1 Diabetes: Symptoms And Ways To Manage It - Diabetacare
Type 1 diabetes (also known as juvenile diabetes), usually affects children and young adults. Only 5% of the people with diabetes have Type 1 diabetes. With the help of insulin therapy and other treatments, even young children can learn to manage their condition and live long & healthy lives. Type 1 diabetes can develop at any age, but usually appears before the age of 40, particularly in childhood. It occurs in men and women equally.
Symptoms of Type 1 diabetes:
- Frequent thirst
- Increased hunger (especially after eating)
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea & vomiting
- Frequent urination
- Unexplained weight loss (even though you’re eating and always hungry)
- Blurry vision
- Heavy breathing
- Frequent infections of the skin, urinary tract or vagina
Ways to manage Type 1 diabetes:
- Keep your blood sugar levels within the range. You will need to check your blood sugar level often and adjust insulin, food, and activities to keep them under control
- All people with Type 1 diabetes must use insulin injections to keep their blood sugar levels under control
- Exercise is an important part for managing Type 1 diabetes. You have to balance your insulin dose and the food you eat with any physical activity. Simple tasks like walking around the house or yard for an hour will help you manage your weight as well as your blood sugar levels. Check your blood sugar level before, during, and after an activity to find out how it affects you. You can lower your insulin dose or have a snack with carbs to prevent it from dropping too low. If your blood glucose level is high, test for ketones (acids that can result from high sugar levels). If your ketone levels are normal, you should be good to go. If they’re high, skip the workout
- Once you know the roles that carbs, fats, and protein play, you can build a healthy eating plan that helps keep your blood sugar level under control
A diabetes educator or a dietician at Diabetacare can help you to manage your Type 1 diabetes better.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.