- by Portea HomeCare
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Must Know Facts About Arthritis
Arthritis is one of the most common problems faced by the masses but how well do you know the disease. Here are few must know facts.
What is Arthritis?
- Arthritis is inflammation of the joints
- It can affect one joint or multiple joints
- Arthritis is most commonly seen in adults over the age of 65 years
- It can develop in children, teen and young adults
- Arthritis is more common in women than men
- Arthritis is also observed in obese individuals.
Causes of Arthritis
- Cartilage is firm and flexible connective tissue in joints
- It protects the joints by absorbing the pressure which one experiences while
movement or stress takes place in joints
- A reduction in the normal amount of the cartilage tissue cause forms of arthritis
- Normal wear and tear causes osteoarthritis
- Any infection and injury to the joints can aggravate this natural breakdown of cartilage tissue in joints
- Risk of developing osteoarthritis may be higher if the patient has family history of arthritis.
Types of Arthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
Osteoarthritis: It is a non-inflammatory deteriorating disorder of joints characterized by progressive corrosion of the articular cartilage and formation of new bone (osteophytes). It is most commonly seen in knee joints.
Warning Signs of Osteoarthritis
- Morning stiffness for less than one hour
- Deep aching pain in joints
- Swelling over joints
- Reduce range of motion of affected joints
- Muscle weakness
- Trouble in bending over
- Difficulty in squatting or climbing stairs
- Pain when walking
- Stiffness after rest
- Crepitation present
- Tenderness over knees present
- Bone spur present
Rheumatoid Arthritis: It is a systematic disease which involves system/organ other than the bones and joints alone.
Warning Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Pain, swelling and stiffness in hands, wrist, elbows, shoulders, knees, ankles, feet, jaw, neck.
- Morning stiffness
- Numbness and tingling
- Loss of weight
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Dry, itchy or inflamed eyes
- Eye discharge
- Difficult sleeping
- Chest pain when patient breath(pleurisy)
- Hard bumps of tissue under the skin on arms.
Psoriatic Arthritis: People with this condition have inflammation of the skin (psoriasis) and joints (arthritis).
Warning Signs of Psoriatic Arthritis
- Swelling in fingers and toes.
- Pitted or discoloured finger nails
- Only one joint or a few joint affected for example: only one knee
- Sometimes affects spine or just the fingers and toes.
Physiotherapy plays an important role in treating Arthritis. If you are looking for physiotherapy sessions at home, get it from Portea. For any health queries, now, you can also download Portea’s mobile appand chat with a doctor for free.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.