Male Genital Skin Problems
Medikoe Health Expert
Koramangala, bengaluru, karnataka, india, Bengaluru Feb 13, 2017
Genital skin problems are widespread and can be itchy embarrassing and painful. It can affect your sexual activities and interpersonal relationships. Some genital skin problems are contagious, which includes sexually transmitted diseases. There are many possible reasons behind these problems, from bacterial infections to STIs and STDs. We will discuss here about some of the most common male genital skin problems.
1. Genital Warts
These are soft, itchy and painful growths that appear on the genitals caused by HPV and are a sexually transmitted infection. Genital wart is not always visible to the human eye. Sometimes they may be minimal and slightly darker than the color of the skin. It may resemble cauliflower and may feel smooth or slightly bumpy to the touch. Genital warts appear in the Penis, Scrotum, Groin, Thighs and inside or around the anus.
Causes of Genital Warts in men:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), all sexually active people get genital warts at some point. Therefore, it is not a fatal condition as long as you take care of it on time.
Genital warts in men are mostly caused by HPV. Over 30 strains of HPV specifically affect the men genitals, among which just a few of these strains cause genital warts.
Treatment for Genital Warts in men:
Visible genital warts go away with time, but HPV will remain there in the skin which can result in several outbreaks throughout life. The doctor may prescribe topical wart treatments to relieve symptoms or to minimize their appearance.
Surgery is also done if visible warts don’t go away with time. Operation includes:
- Laser treatments
It is a medical condition which causes swelling of the foreskin and penis head. This creates a lot of discomforts, redness, and itching.
Causes of Balanitis in men:
It can be developed due to various reasons like:
- Poor hygiene leading to smegma buildup
- Irritants like soaps and shower gels
- Bacterial infection
- Yeast infection (Candida)
- Sexually transmitted infection
- Skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, etc.
Treatment of Balanitis
Treatment of balanitis depends on the cause, according to that doctor will advise you what substances you have to avoid. It can be an allergic reaction, candida or bacterial infection. Balanitis is easy to treat, but in some cases, it can have some complications.
3. Skin Rash
Just like rashes, inflammation in the genital area could also result in outbreaks which cause redness, scaling, and itching. It is common in men & women both.
Causes of Skin Rash (genitalia) in men:
There is some reason why the skin of your genitals gets inflamed, few of them are:
- Jock itch
- Molluscum contagiosum
- Pubic lice
- Body lice
- Contact dermatitis
- Lichen planus
- Reactive arthritis
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts
Genital skin rash is a symptom of an underlying severe/mild condition. Therefore, it should not be ignored.
4. Contagious Molluscum
It is a skin infection caused by the Molluscum contagiosum virus that causes the formation of small, raised bumps or lesions on the skin. These bumps are usually painless and go away on their own even if left untreated and don’t leave any scars.
Causes of Contagious Molluscum in men:
This infection mostly spreads through direct contact with an infected person.
- Sharing products like towels and clothes or other equipment
- Children get affected by playing with infected children
- Teens and adults and infected through sexual contact or skin touching sports like wrestling and football
- You can spread the infection within your body by scratching or shaving a bump and moving other parts of your body
A condition where the person is unable to pull back the foreskin completely which causes pain, swelling, and redness.
Usually, by the age of 10, uncircumcised boys can pull back their foreskin completely from their penis head. In some instances, they are not able to do this until the age of 17, and this condition is called phimosis.
Boys who have this condition are generally born with it, and phimosis can last through puberty. With time, the foreskin naturally begins to retract, and treatment is only required in cases where phimosis arises on the skin that was already fully retractable or in boys that experience redness, pain or swelling on the penis head.
Causes of Phimosis in men:
- Foreskin infections can cause scarring that makes the skin less stretchy
- Forceful pulling of the skin can also cause inflammation and tears, leading to phimosis
- With age, the skin begins to loosen and form wrinkles
- Medical conditions like diabetes which could infect the penis
Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease caused by herpes simplex virus (HSV). This virus is of two types based on the kind of infection they cause:
- HSV-I: This is the oral herpes virus. It causes cold sores and blisters on the face, especially around the mouth.
- HSV-II: This is a cause for the outbreak of genital herpes.
It results in the formation of painful ulcers or blisters, excess discharge, and painful urination.
Causes of Herpes in men:
Herpes is a very contagious STD that spreads from person to person through direct physical contact. Oral herpes spreads through physical contact like kissing or sharing utensils while genital herpes spreads through sexual contact. It is even possible to get genital herpes if someone with HSV-I performs oral sex while having cold sores.
Engaging in intercourse with an HIV-II infected person spreads the virus. People with multiple sexual partners or people who engage in unprotected sex usually contract herpes.
Some useful tips for men to keep your private parts clean-
1. Trim Your Private Hair- Do this before or while taking a shower, so that all trimmed hair washed away.
2. Use Right Scissor, Razor or Cream- Scissor and razors which are specially designed for short and curly hair. And, a cream which is odourless and paraben free.
3. Use Gel Wipe Regularly- Using dry toilet paper for cleaning is not sufficient. It can remove most of the dirt, but sweating causes a swamp down there, which can spread bacteria to buttocks and thighs. That’s why you need gel to clean skin and hair for your private parts.
4. Clean it Properly- Our private parts of the body have sensitive skin, so choose mild soap. And, check ingredients before using any of the products. Some products contain cleaning agents & perfumes that may irritate sensitive skin.
5. Choose good underwear- Underwear of breathable & soft fabric. With the right size, it should not be too tight. Most preferable fabric is cotton.
Talk to your doctor for more information!
Looking for a health expert around you?
Medikoe is an online platform that allows you to search and connect with the most qualified and experienced doctors near you. Have a query related to health? Get it answered for free within 24 hours only at Medikoe. Download Medikoe's Mobile app and book appointment with a doctor for free.