- by Portea HomeCare
- 0 Shares
- Apr 03 2017
Lesser Known Facts about Physiotherapy
PHYSIOTHERAPISTS CAN WORK IN A VARIETY OF SETTINGS such as hospitals, outpatient clinics, private practices, home health agencies, schools, nursing homes, and even the Emergency Room.
2. In addition to working in different settings, THERE ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF PHYSIOTHERAPY. These may include orthopedic, post-operative care, cardiovascular and pulmonary rehab, lymphedema management, wound care, and neurologic rehabilitation.
3. PHYSIOTHERAPISTS CAN TREAT VERTIGO. Positional vertigo, when you experience very brief bouts of dizziness with changes in position or movement of the head, is the most common cause of dizziness. It is a dysfunction of the vestibular system in the inner ear. It can successfully be treated by a physiotherapist.
4. PHYSICAL THERAPISTS HOLD ADVANCED DEGREES. It is shocking to know that most of the first time physiotherapy patients are surprised when they find out that a physiotherapist holds a specialization. Many years ago, one could practice physical therapy with a bachelor’s degree. However, the scope of practice and knowledge of medicine has grown tremendously in the last few decades. Physical therapists have to pass a medical board exam in order to obtain their license to treat patients.
5. YOU CAN BE EVALUATED AND TREATED BY A PHYSIOTHERAPIST WITHOUT SEEING YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. Physiotherapists have Direct Access and a patient does not need a prescription from a doctor to be treated by a physical therapist.
6. PHYSICAL THERAPISTS ALONE CANNOT DIMINISH YOUR SYMPTOMS. Physiotherapists cannot perform magic. Physical therapy is successful when the patient and the therapist work together on creating a treatment plan in order to meet the patient’s goals.
7. IF YOU TELL YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPIST THAT AN EXERCISE IS EASY, WE WILL MAKE IT HARDER. If you tell your physical therapist that you can’t do an exercise, we will find a way to ensure that you can.
8. WHEN A PHYSICAL THERAPIST TELLS YOU THEY ARE GOING TO MASSAGE A MUSCLE, IT MAY NOT FEEL LIKE THE NICE RELAXING MASSAGE YOU GET AT THE SPA. Massage performed in therapy is to decrease tightness and tone and to improve tissue mobility of a specific muscle that may be very inflamed or the source of joint pain.
9. “NO PAIN, NO GAIN” DOES NOT ALWAYS HOLD TRUE. There are a few diagnoses where this saying holds true, such as when working on range of motion after a knee replacement or if you have a frozen shoulder. Most of the time, treatments and exercises should be relatively pain-free. If being treated for low back pain or an overuse injury in a tendon, you want to stay away from certain movements or positions that may aggravate the condition.
10. IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO DO YOUR HOME-EXERCISE PROGRAM! There is a reason that your physiotherapist puts in the time and effort of designing a home program specifically for you. If you don’t follow their recommendation during therapy or after you are discharged, you might be seeing your physical therapist again and again for the same problem.
If you ever feel the need of in-home physiotherapy, call Portea (1800-121-2323) and we will send an expert home.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.