- by Dr Prithvi Raj K
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Know more about Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery takes care of all the surgical treatment of the diseases and injuries of the oral and maxillofacial region and of the mouth. It involves diagnosis, surgery and treatment of the injuries and diseases and defects which involves both aesthetic and functional aspect of soft and hard tissues of Oral and Maxillofacial regions.
Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon is the surgeon who addresses all the issues related to the facial region. He takes care of all the problems ranging from impacted teeth removal till the repair of facial trauma.
There are following services that come under Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery:
- Cosmetic Jaw Surgery (Orthognathic surgery)
- Navigation Surgery
- Cyst & Tumours
- Temporo Mandibular (Jaw)Joint surgery
- Dental Implants
Cosmetic Jaw Surgery (Orthognathic surgery)
- Orthognathic surgery or Cosmetic Jaw Surgery is done to correct the cosmetic and functional problems which occurs due to underlying jaw deformities. The bite problem which can not be cured by putting the orthodontic braces, Orthognathic surgery is the treatment solution.
- The main aspect of Orthognathic surgery is it improves self-esteem and beauty.
- It is also performed in case of jaw mismatch in size and position which causes serious problems.
- Navigation surgery is used for maxillofacial trauma.
- It is helpful in reconstructing a fractured left orbital floor.
The first navigation surgery for maxillofacial trauma was performed at Apollo Speciality Hospital in India.
- Apollo Specialty Hospital is the only hospital where navigation technology is used for Maxillofacial surgery.
Cyst & Tumours
- Any growth or lesion which is present for more than 10 to 14 days, go for biopsy. It is a procedure where the entire growth or a section is removed which depends upon the size, nature and location of growth.
- A growth in oral cavity is benign in nature.
- Most biopsies are performed under local anesthesia.
Temporo Mandibular (Jaw)Joint surgery (TMJ)
- A small joint located in front of the ear is Temporo Mandibular Joint.
- For the opening and closing of the lower jaw, this joint is helpful.
- A problem related to this joint is termed as TMJ disorders and dysfunction.
- An injury or infection occurred in childhood leads to inability to open the mouth with distorted face growth.
- To open the mouth, this surgery has to be performed in a multistage manner and jaws and face is reconstructed cosmetically.
- Missing teeth are replaced by a root device which is made of titanium. It is used in dentistry to support restorations that resemble a tooth or group of teeth.
- Root-form endosseous implants are taking place these days as it appears like an actual tooth root and is placed with a bone.
- Dental implants will fuse with bone, however the patient will feet a slight difference while chewing compared to the natural teeth.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.