- by Manipal Hospitals
- 0 Shares
- Feb 20 2017
How To Prevent Asthma Or Asthma Attacks When You Have Allergies?
Asthma is a respiratory disease which includes a group of symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath. It occurs due to the obstruction in the airways either due to constriction of its muscles or inflammation of the airways. Asthmahas several causes ranging from allergies to genetics, making it difficult for the doctor to treat the condition. Therefore, it is essential to adopt preventive measures especially if you have allergies.
Start by avoiding the following triggers:
- If you have asthma, do not smoke. Even second-hand smoking is dangerous. So do not allow people to smoke in and around your house or vicinity.
- Maintain low humidity in the rooms (25%-50%) using a dehumidifier.
- Enclose the pillows and mattresses with allergen-proof zipped covers. It is better to choose pillows and bed sheets without feathers.
- Remove the stuffed toys from your bed.
- Wash the bed sheets, pillow covers and curtains once in a week.
- Store your books, toys, and clothing in closed cupboards or closets instead of leaving them freely outside.
- Vacuum the furniture covers and dust all the surfaces with a damp cloth once in a week. Wear gloves and masks while dusting and cleaning to avoid exposure to the chemicals and dust.
- Try to avoid carpets on floors. Instead, choose hardwood floors.
Mold and mildews
- Run a dehumidifier to maintain the humidity between 25-50% indoors, to avoid the fungi.
- Use air conditioners when possible.
- Sources of outdoor molds include wet leaves and debris. So try to minimize or avoid them.
- Clean the bathrooms regularly with products that kill the molds.
- Clean the visible mold using a 5% bleach and detergent.
- Molds get collected in areas such as basements, garages, etc. So get them cleaned by someone.
- Remove the clothes from the washing machine and dry them immediately. Molds can grow quickly in wet clothes.
- Do not store damp shoes and clothes in the closets. Dry them before storing.
- Do not keep plants in your bedroom.
- Do not keep too many plants in your balcony, as the damp soil promotes the growth of the molds.
Most of your homes have cockroaches and other insects, especially in the crevices. You can control them by the following methods:
- Fix water leaks to reduce high humidity in which cockroaches usually survive.
- Use insect traps or roach baits to trap and kill them.
- Spray the insect sprays especially when your children are out for some time.
- Cover the food with lids. After eating, wash the dishes and clean the floor.
- Wear long pants, full sleeves and shoes to prevent the insect bites.
Pollen grains are tiny egg-shaped structures from the plants. Eliminating them from the environment is not possible, so avoid the exposure to these eggs.
- Do not stay outdoors for a long time in the morning hours (especially from 5 am to 10 am) during which the pollen is high in the environment. Also, the pollen count is high during high humidity and when the wind flow is high.
- Close the windows during high pollen seasons. Use air conditioning, if possible.
- Avoid or reduce walking through the gardens and wooden areas. Wear a mask while cutting the grass and avoid staying in the freshly cut grass for long hours.
- Change your clothing and take a shower after coming back home from outside.
- Do not tame pets especially if you or your child is allergic to the dander. Also, avoid excess exposure to the pets in your friend’s house. You may take asthma medicines before going for a visit to someone’s house with a pet, if you are allergic.
- If you wish to have a cat or a dog at home, then keep their home separate from yours.
- Bathe them regularly. Do not allow them to enter your bedrooms.
- Reduce the carpets as the animal dander gets deposited on them and it becomes tough to wash them.
- Avoid the allergy triggers at home and restaurants by following these tips.
- If you know which ingredient you are allergic to, you should check the label or the product and choose the foods accordingly. You may ask for the preparation method, if you are dining outside.
- Always choose fresh foods and not processed foods.
- Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures as they can trigger asthma.
- Take allergy shots to train your immune system not to react vigorously when exposed to any allergen. These shots are given at an increasing dose by a physician (such as an allergist).
- If any product triggers your asthma attacks, then stop using it and replace it with some other product.
- Avoid exercising outdoors in the cold climate. Do not exercise for a long time. Use an asthma inhaler 10-30 minutes before doing the exercise.
- Take steps to reduce your stress as this intense emotion can worsen asthma. Yoga, meditation, socialization, etc. can help you to relieve your stress levels.
- Keep the asthma inhalers ready for an emergency rescue in case you have an attack.
The best way to avoid asthma or its attacks is to identify the triggers and avoid them. Always be prepared by knowing your nearest hospitals so that you can get help immediately when you have an asthma attack.
© Copyright MANIPAL HOSPITALS
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.