- by Portea HomeCare
- 0 Shares
- Mar 15 2017
Health and Nutrition Begins at Home
Home is where the heart is – where we Indians experience more than half of our lives – sharing hopes, dreams & desires. But, with busy, on-the-go lifestyles, people are having more meals away from home and slowly forgetting the concept – Health & Nutrition starts at home.
Eating healthy at home not only improves your diet, it’s easier on the pocket, too. It’s very important to make smart food choices from every food group and find the right balance between food & exercise.
This World Health Day set an example – eat smart and get active! Be your own Hero!
Parents and grandparents can pass down a healthy legacy to the next generation of Indians so that they lead better, longer and healthier lives.
In a study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, Children who see parents and other family members eating & living healthy are more likely to adopt the same habits.
Here are some tips to help you start eating healthier:
- Always have a standard serving on a plate and a bowl.
- Try not to eat food in front of the TV or during other activity as much as possible, instead talk & pay attention to food.
- Eat slowly so your brain can get the message that your stomach is full.
- Don’t skip meals and have at least three sensible meals a day.
- For treats like chips and ice cream, eat one serving.
There is a simple rule, the more you eat out, the more body fat you have.
Try these tips when eating out:
- Share meals, order half portions or order an appetizer as a main meal.
- Don’t order “supersized” beverages or soft drinks, order a small size instead.
- Traveling? Take along nutritious foods and snacks that won’t spoil ; fresh fruit, small cans of fruit, peanut butter sandwiches, whole grain crackers, carrot sticks, air-popped popcorn and bottled water.
- Choose restaurants that serve salads, or choose the smaller meal portion with more veggies.
Some more steps you can take towards Healthy Living:
Keep unhealthy food out of your home: Out of sight is out of mind, heard of it? You won’t be tempted by sugary and other unhealthy foods if they aren’t around.
Put healthy foods right in front and centre: Keeping water, fruits and other healthy snacks out in the open increases the chances that you will choose these healthy options.
Mealtime is Family Time: Family that eats together stays together. Try a little family togetherness, family meals are a great time to talk to each other and you tend to eat more nutritious meals together.
Cut screen time: Cut back on the amount of time spent on sedentary activities like sitting in front of the television or computer.
Get enough sleep: Establish a good bedtime routine for overall health and well being. Those who sleep less are more likely to be overweight or obese in the long run.
Grab and Go Healthy Snacks: Stock your kitchen with Healthy Snacks, in case you have no time to eat, these snacks will be a life saver for you. Go for dried fruits, low fat curd, high fiber, low-sugar cereal and low fat popcorn.
“I really regret eating Healthy TODAY, said no one ever”!!
Remember, good health will always begin at home. Good eating habits will create a healthy and safe environment for you and ones you love.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.