- by Portea Homecare
- 1 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
Garcinia Cambogia for Weight Loss: What You Need to Know
Garcinia Cambogia is mainly found in the tropical areas such as Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and yes, even India. The fruit looks like a small pumpkin, which is greenish in colour when unripe, and turns yellow or red once fully ripe. It has deep grooves on its outer surface.In India, it is commonly found in the Southern region such as the states of Kerala, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu. Locally known as brindleberry, Malabar tamarind, and kudampuli (pot tamarind) in India, Garcinia Cambogia has been used in our country, especially in the Southern region for hundreds of years for a variety of different purposes. It is used as a souring agent in curries and in Ayurveda, it is often used as a medication to improve digestion. The powder of its rind is a traditional spice found in almost all kitchens of Kerala and it is used as a condiment in special curries and chutneys. In South India and Sri Lanka, the extracts from this fruit is used in the fish curing process.
This fruit which has humble origins has shot into the limelight fairly recently as a miracle weight loss food. Researchers have found that the rind of this fruit contains an organic acid called ‘hydroxycitric acid’ or HCA, which according to several studies has the ability to lead to SUBSTANTIAL weight-loss!
Exactly, how can GarciniaCambogia help you to lose those extra kilos?
- HCA has the natural ability to increase the ‘serotonin’ levels in your body. Serotonin works like a messenger in the human body, thus informing the brain that the stomach is full. This suppresses appetite, causing you to eat less and thus making weight loss simpler.
- There is another added benefit of increased ‘serotonin’ production. ‘Serotonin’ is a hormone secreted by the brain that functions like a mood-stabilizing hormone, which governs sleep cycles and one’s overall mood. You may tend to over eat when you are sad, upset or depressed about something. By increasing the production of ‘serotonin’, GarciniaCambogia enhances your well being by stabilizing your mood, thus alleviating negative thoughts and feelings. As a result, the tendency toeat because of emotional issues reduces significantly.
- The extract of this fruit also helps in the reduction of excess fat accumulation in the body. How?When ingested, the extract of GarciniaCambogia controls the level of an enzyme in our body called ATP Citrate Lyase. This enzyme creates fatty cells from the carbohydrates you consume. By restricting the production of this enzyme, GarciniaCambogia helps reduce the production of fatty cells and hence aids in weight loss.
But what makes Garcinia Cambogia one of the best amongst the several weight loss options out there?
Here are a few compelling reasons as to why you should opt for Garcinia Cambogia for weight loss:
1. It’s a fruit. This makes its extract natural and herbal. As this is a natural supplement, its side effects are minimal or rather absent. It is always better to opt for natural supplements rather than the artificially produced chemical ones which may end up causing more harm than gain.
2. Studies have shown that the HCA which is present in the rind of this fruit aids weight loss in different ways:
- It suppresses your appetite
- Burns excess fat deposited in the body
- Prevents formation and accumulation of harmful fats.
3. The fruit also helps in controlling ‘emotional eating’ (eating just for comfort and not because one’s hungry) –one of the most common underlying causes of weight loss.
4. Apart from weight loss, Garcinia Cambogia has also been used to treat a variety of other medical disorders, which are often associated with obesity including stress, fluctuating levels of cortisol, and low level of immunity.
How to use Garcinia Cambogia for effective weight loss?
Garcinia Cambogia supplements are easily available online as well as from Ayurvedic stores and these can be consumed orally to lose weight. The supplements are available in two forms- tablet and capsule which has to be taken with water before meals. The extract is also available in a liquid form. This liquid must be taken directly before meals. About 15-20 drops should be taken under the tongue before meals.
Consumption of anything out of proportion can cause more harm than gain to the body. So, if you are planning to use Garcinia Cambogiafor losing weight, you must keep the following points in mind:
- Usually, the recommended dosage of Garcinia cambogia is 500 to 1000 milligram of 50% HCA.
- The amount of this fruit you may consume for weight loss also depends on your current weight.
- If you only consume the supplement but do not make any changes in your lifestyle such as exercising or eating healthy, the effects might be unsatisfactory.
- Thus, when consumption of this supplement is coupled with a healthy diet and regular exercise, results are usually positive and weight loss is sustained and long-term.
Who should seek medical advice before using Garcinia Cambogia and who should avoid its consumption?
It is always better to consult your doctor before consuming any supplement. But the following groups must especially do so as they may be sensitive to certain side effects of HCA:
- Pregnant women
- Lactating mothers
- People who suffer from diabetes
- Cancer patients
- Those who suffer from certain allergies
- Individuals with any other serious illness such as kidney concerns or PCOS
- People who are on any other kind of medication as the supplement might interact with it adversely
Major do’s and don’ts while using Garcinia Cambogia in weight loss therapy:
- The dosage of this supplement should be regulated on the basis of your current weight. So, it is advisable that you consume the recommended dosage and nothing less or more than that.
- Drinking lots of water is also important as there is a possibility that you may experience symptoms of dryness in your throat or may feel dehydrated while you are using Garcinia Cambogia supplements.
- Eating right is another important step which will assure weight loss. You should increase the consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and food rich in anti-oxidants.
- At least thirty to forty five minutes of exercise, jogging or any other physical activity is also another important step, which will help you to achieve your target.
- Do not consume unhealthy junk food items when you are using Garcinia Cambogia extracts to control weight. This would only reduce its impact.
- It is better to avoid sugary and fatty food items while you are on Garcinia Cambogia supplements as excess of sugary foods would only curb its good effects.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle as it would lead to fat accumulation.
- Do not consume an excess of the supplement because it could result in further complications such a dehydration and unnecessary and drastic weight loss, leaving you fatigued.
- If you are on anti-depressants or any strong or schedule H drug (Prescription pills), you must seek medical advice before you start having Garcinia Cambogia supplements.
How should you incorporate Garcinia Cambogia in your diet to help you to achieve that target weight?
You must consume Garcinia Cambogia supplements about 30-60 minutes before you have a meal. The meal you consume directly after having the Garcinia Cambogia supplements should not have a large proportion of high fibre food items. You may have items rich in fibre beyond the above mentioned period.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.