- by Manipal Hospitals
- 0 Shares
- Feb 12 2017
Causes and Treatments of Vertigo
VERTIGO is the feeling that you or your surrounding is spinning.
CAUSES OF VERTIGOcan
Vertigo can be caused by issues related to brain or inner ear.
- Vertigo can be caused due to labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis. Labyrinthitis is inflammation inside the inner ear and may be associated with hearing loss. Labyrinthitis is caused due to viral or bacterial infection to inner ear.
- The most common type of vertigo is BVVP (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) which occurs due to deposition of lump of tiny calcium particles (canaliths) inside the canal of the inner ear. The inner ear helps the vestibular system in balancing the body movement by sending the signal to brain. Deposition of canaliths makes it difficult for inner ear to send the signal properly and hence resulting in sudden head movement and dizziness.
- Sometimes it can also be cause due to acoustic neuroma which is associated to a type of tumour of the nerve tissue of the inner ear. The symptoms of acoustic neuroma includes hearing loss and ringing inside the ear.
- It can also occur due to Meniere’s disease. Meniere’s disease is a disorder related to inner ear which is caused due to fluctuating pressure and build-up fluid inside inner ear. This disease is associated with inconsistent hearing loss along with ringing in the ears.
Vertigo can also occur due to neck or head injury, medication that cause ear damage, Migraine or other brain problems like tumour and stroke.
SYMPTOMS OF VERTIGO
Symptoms of Vertigo includes;
- Head Spinning
- Abnormal eye movement
- Inconsistent or sudden hearing loss
- Ringing in the ear
TREATMENT OF VERTIGO
In most cases, vertigo goes away with time. It basically happen because, sometimes, the brain adapts the change in the inner ear, depending on other mechanism to maintain balance.
Few treatments for vertigo are;
- Vestibular Rehabilitation
The function of vestibular system is to send signals to brain about body and head movement related to gravity.
Vestibular Rehabilitation is a physical therapy which helps in strengthening the vestibular system.
- Canaliths Repositioning Maneuvers
This therapy includes series of body and head movement, to transport the calcium deposits from the canal to an inner ear chamber from where it can easily be absorbed by the body.
In some cases, medication can also cure the infection or reduce the symptoms like motion sickness, nausea etc.
If the vertigo is caused by some serious problems like tumour, neck & brain injury, then a surgery can help in treating the vertigo.
© Copyright MANIPAL HOSPITALS
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.