- by Manipal Hospitals
- 0 Shares
- Apr 24 2017
Breastfeeding Is The First Gift A Mother Can Give To Her Baby
Breastfeeding isn’t just about milk, it’s lot more about the love and bonding between the mother and child. It creates a magical bond between the mother and child which lasts more than a lifetime. Breast milk is indeed one of the best gifts a mother can give to her child. Breastfeeding comes with overloaded benefits both for the mother and child. The nutrients and antibodies contained in the breast milk boost the child’s immunity, digestion process and enhance brain development. It protects the mother from the risk of developing breast or ovarian cancer and also aids in burning excess calories.
Here are the few breastfeeding benefits for the child and mother–
For the infants-
• Breastfeeding boosts the baby’s immune system as it armours the baby with antibodies that protect from diarrhoea and pneumonia.
• Breastfeed babies are less likely to be overweight or obese in the later stages of their lives.
• Breastfeeding reduces the baby’s risk of contracting diseases like type 1 & 2 diabetes, leukemia, asthma and eczema in the later stages.
• Babies who are breastfed within one hour of birth are at lower risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
• Mother’s milk enhances the baby to grow strong, immune and intelligent.
For the mother-
• Breastfeeding significantly reduces the mother’s risk of breast and ovarian cancer, heart disease, and osteoporosis.
• Breastfeeding burns on an average of 1000 calories a day which helps the mother shed those extra kilos and return to her pre-baby weight.
• It accelerates the mother’s healing rate during the postpartum phase which includes aiding her uterus return to pre-pregnancy size faster.
Watch this video to know more about the health benefits of breastfeeding for the mother and child.
A recent research suggests that more than 8,000 children’s lives could be saved every year if the child is breastfed within an hour of birth and is given breast milk for the first 2 years.
Encourage Breastfeeding! It serves both the child and mother with abundant health benefits.
© Copyright MANIPAL HOSPITALS
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.