- by Portea HomeCare
- 0 Shares
- Apr 25 2017
Are Poppy Seeds Really Healthy? Find Out the Truth!
If you think that poppy seeds are just used to decorate salad or bagel, then sorry to burst your bubble- poppy seeds do provide a multitude of health benefits as well!! Poppy seed is an oilseed extracted from the poppy plant and is loaded with a good amount of minerals like iron, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. These kidney-shaped seeds are black-blue in color and have a nutty flavor. From raitas to curries to desserts, poppy seeds are vastly used in India. Incorporating poppy seeds into your diet can help boost your mineral and fiber intake.
- Poppy seeds are effective in treating fever, constipation or abdomen problems.
- Drinking milk with poppy seeds can help you conquer insomnia.
- As poppy seeds contain a high level of calcium and phosphorous, these seeds will help you manage the pain and symptoms of joint pain and swelling. Apply a paste of poppy seeds on the affected area for an instant relief from bone and joint pain.
- These seeds also contain linoleic acid that helps in preventing abdomen and heart problems.
- They contain high levels of dietary fiber. So, consuming it with your meals will make you feel satisfied and full and this way you can avoid overeating.
- Poppy seeds will be enormously beneficial to those who are suffering from constipation. For this, include some poppy seeds in your food and you will feel a lot better.
- Being a good source of fatty acids, poppy seeds can help lower blood cholesterol level in the body.
- Since poppy seeds are rich in calcium, they are also very beneficial for pregnant and lactating women.
- These seeds are also used in treating respiratory problems.
- Poppy seeds are rich in zinc and consuming these seeds can help in strengthening the immune system.
- These seeds are rich in minerals such as copper, iron, and calcium, which helps in the development of neurons and improve brain functions.
Benefits on the skin
- Soft and supple skin
These seeds can also be used to make your skin soft, silky and glowing. For this, all you need is half a cup of poppy seeds and some milk.
Step 1: Soak the seeds overnight.
Step 2: Remove the excess water in the morning.
Step 3: Grind the soak seeds with some milk to form a thick paste.
Step 4: Apply it all over your face.
Step 5: Let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
Poppy seeds can also be used to remove dead skin cells. Take two teaspoons of poppy seeds and some curd. Mix the two ingredients together to make a fine pack. Massage gently for about 5 minutes and then wash it off. Do this every week and your complexion will thank you.
- Skin infections
Poppy seeds contain anti-inflammatory properties that help fight skin infections like skin rashes and dry itch. Make a thick paste of poppy seeds and lemon juice and apply it on the affected area to get relief from pain and itchiness.
Benefits to the hair
Poppy seeds can help you to get rid of dandruff. For this, take one cup of poppy seeds, some curd and one teaspoon of white pepper.
Step 1: Soak poppy seeds overnight.
Step 2: Remove the excess water and grind the soaked seeds with curd.
Step 3: Add white pepper to the mixture and apply it all over your scalp.
Step 4: Let it sit for 30 minutes and then wash it off.
- Stimulates hair growth
Poppy seeds can also be used to boost hair growth. Take some poppy seeds and mix them well with pulped onion and coconut milk. Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair and let it sit for about half an hour before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
Want to know more about healthy and nutritious food? Call 1800-121-2323 to learn more.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.