- by Portea Homecare
- 0 Shares
- Feb 12 2017
12 Home Remedies for Constipation
There are certain topics that aren’t discussed too openly and are preferably kept hidden away behind closed doors. Potty problems happen to be one of them. While you might be extremely comfortable sharing your woes about congestion in your chest or a blocked nose, or even a sore throat with your friends and family, constipation is not something you’d bring up at the dinner table!
Therefore, here are few home remedies of constipation that works. The cure to constipation lies in the same place where it began. The place where your food is made, the Kitchen! Here’s a list of simple and highly effective home remedies that can cure you of constipation and make you finally ‘give a shit’!
1. Olive Oil – The Greek magic potion. Yes, Oil does do wonders in making things work smoothly, and not just cars! It possesses the ability to relieve you of constipation if you let it! It stimulates your digestive system and gets things moving. What you need for this effective remedy is 1 tbsp. Olive Oil and 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice.
While the lemon juice is optional, it sure does wonders in terms of improving the flavour. Consume one tbsp. of Olive oil and Lemon Juice empty stomach in the morning and watch the magic happen in the loo!
2. Good Old’ Lime Water – There’s nothing that starts your day off smoother than a glass of warm water with a teaspoon of lime squeezed in it. The science behind this tried and tested method is that the citric acid in the lime water stimulates the digestive system and also flushes out unwanted toxins and other wastes from the body. The water also has 2 key benefits in this scenario. Firstly, it reduces the intensity of the lime juice and makes it milder and easier to consume. Secondly, the water is a fluid in general so it’s a great ingredient to smoothen things and get them moving!
3. Caffeine makes the world go round – People sure do love their morning cup of coffee for its godly aroma and because it wakes you up like nothing else! But that’s not the only reason. Caffeine is a natural stimulant for the digestive system and can get you up and running…in more ways than just one! One cup of Joe in the morning should do the trick, but don’t have too much of it since it’s a diuretic and makes you urinate a lot too. Strike the perfect balance and bid constipation adieu.
4. Start Moving – The reason that constipation has come a long way from being a trivial issue to a monumental problem that’s becoming more and more common is our sedentary lifestyle and laziness that has been on the rise since the last decade or so. To get things moving you need to start moving yourself! Start your day off with some sort of exercise or physical activity that will stimulate your body. There are specific stretches and exercises to get the back door open too!
5. The Word Of the Day is FIBER – You’ve probably heard this enough already, but you cannot begin to understand the importance of fibre. A healthy diet is often stressed on, and one of the main reasons for the same is the inclusion of fruits and vegetables which contain high amounts of fibre. When it comes to pooping, fibre is magical. It is almost like a sponge which does not get digested by the body and merely absorbs water from it surroundings. It then swells up and ends up softening your stool, making it easy to pass and SHAZAM! Solves your problem.
Good fibre sources include:
- Green Leafy Vegetables etc.
6. Consider taking FLAXATIVES – Flaxseeds are a great cure and natural home remedy for constipation. They coat the walls of your intestine and increase the number bowel movements hence making it easier to take the poo to the loo! But this isn’t the remedy, it’s only one part. To complete the perfect home remedy you will need 1 glass Orange Juice with pulp and 1tsp flaxseeds.
Tip – to make the most make sure to include the pulp in the juice to increase the fibre! The citric acid will do your digestive system a world of good too.
7. Aloe Vera, NOT just for your skin – The benefits of Aloe Vera aren’t just skin deep, they do your digestive system good too and are great at curing constipation. Try getting your hands on the pure gel from the plant and not the commercial stuff. Since the gel is more concentrated, don’t use more than two tablespoons. Alternatively, you can drink a cup of Aloe Vera Juice if the gel is hard to find. Mix the Gel/Juice with a glass of fruit juice and drink it in the morning for best results.
8. Baking Soda FTW – A little info on why baking soda is such a wonderful home remedy and does its job 99% of the time: It’s a bicarbonate. It works well for constipation and tummy aches in general. Since baking soda is a bicarbonate it gets the air out of your body and relieves you of aches and pains. It also alkalizes your stomach and gets the job done just fine.
Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in 1/4th cup of warm water and gulp down the entire mixture.
9. Heed Natures Call – This one’s a warning for all those who might be heading down the role of constipation. When your body gives you a signal to go to the loo, listen to it. When you need to go, you need to go! If you keep it in and don’t let it out when it’s supposed to then brace yourself for the unpleasantness that awaits you!
10. Not All Bacteria is bad –In this day and age when everyone is busy eating fried and processed foods, the digestive system naturally goes for a toss. It is at this time that we need to debunk the myth that ‘all bacteria is bad bacteria’. No, that’s not really the case, in fact the cure to constipation lies in a few good bacteria and probiotics that help in the smooth functioning of the body if they’re allowed to flourish. The simplest and most effective source of this is a bowl of plain curd to start your day off. Add some muesli to it and gobble up a bowl for breakfast.
11. Fig – These are a natural laxative and extremely high in fibre, a great choice of food if you’re plagued with constipation. They’re an absolute must have in your diet, whether fresh figs or dried figs. If you manage to get your hands on fresh figs then make sure to eat them with the skin on since that’s what contains most of the calcium and fibres.
Here’s how you can eat them to relieve yourself of constipation
- Take 2-3 almonds and dried figs
- Soak them in water for a few hours
- Blanch or peel the almonds and grind them with the figs
- Eat this paste with one tbsp. of honey every night.
12. Honey – The mild nature of honey makes it a great laxative and can be consumed every day to relieve you of constipation. Take 2-3 tsp of honey every morning, with warm water and lemon if you may or even raw it works just as well.
While constipation may not seem like that big an issue and isn’t spoken about that much, it can seriously impede day to day functioning and create unnecessary and avoidable discomfort. Luckily, it is a problem for which the cure lies within your homes (as listed above in the kitchen) and with a few simple dietary changes and lifestyle tweaks such as getting more active and exercising, you should be able to see the end of it and have a happy start to your day, every day. Also, when in need, avail doctor consultation at home from Portea.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.