- by Portea HomeCare
- 0 Shares
- Feb 09 2017
10 Celebrities Who Overcame Depression
What are your first thoughts on celebrity lifestyle? Yes, they definitely seem to lead a life full of glamor and glitz, but the phrase ‘all that glitters is not gold’ stands quite true for the celebrities on this list.
They are all attractive, charming, immensely successful and wealthy, but they have experienced the turmoil of their inner demons in the form of depression as well as mood disorders. Considerable research done on this matter reveals that celebs on the whole are highly susceptible to depression because of their tight work schedules, sleep disruption, personal problems and substance abuse habits.
The following are 10 famous personalities who have battled depression and have been able to get through victoriously.
1. J.K Rowling: The famous author has stimulated many young and even adult minds with her popular Harry Potter series, but there was a dark period in her life, when she faced depression and even experienced suicidal thoughts. It was during her twenties, when she was still a struggling novelist, freshly divorced and bringing up a child single handed that she suffered from depression and emotional instability.
At this time, she sought for help and underwent cognitive behavioural therapy for a period of nine months. Rowling claims that it was a difficult period for her, but in an interview on suicide.org she says-“I have never been remotely ashamed of having been depressed”. In fact, the author is quite proud that she has been able to overcome depression and speaks openly about her mental illness in an effort to do away with the stigma that surrounds it.
2. Dharmendra: A perfect heart throb during his time, Dharmendra does not only have a charming personality, but is the proud father to very successful sons Bobby Deol and Sunny Deol. Therefore, it is hard to believe that this man has been the victim of depression for almost 15 years of his life. It definitely affected his acting career to a great extent.
To overcome his constant state of anxiety and sadness, he resorted to drinking and became an addict with time. Today, he has stopped drinking altogether, living a much happy and peaceful life.
3. Lady Gaga: A woman who is well-acclaimed for her beautiful voice, outrageous fashion and dominant standing; she seems to have it all. But behind her glamorous image, Gaga hides her mental suffering and lifelong depression. She affirmed that she has faced depression, anger, cynicism and a sense of sadness all her life. She has been constantly fighting the darkness.
As a victim of depression, she established the Born this Way foundation in 2012, to help others who are facing similar problems. Currently the non-profit foundation is conducting research on how screen time; especially that spent on the cell phone, affects mental health and causes unhappiness.
4. Demi Lovato: The Disney starlet, who seemed to have her life in control,created headlines when she checked into a rehab centre to deal with her emotional as well as physical problems. Lovato has not only gone through depression and a phase of self-harm, but has also suffered from anorexia and bipolar disorder.
Today, the actress-singer has overcome her issues and is pursuing a successful Hollywood career.
5. Varun Dhavan: Known to be the chocolate boy of Indian cinema today, this young actor has admitted going through a phase of depression, during the course of his movie Badlapur; an intense movie based upon the theme of revenge, in which he plays a more serious role as compared to his former lover boy gimmicks.
The actor mentioned in one of his interviews that although his depression was not clinically confirmed by his doctor, he was prescribed medicines to prevent any further problems. Being quite open about this issue, he confirms that the contrast in the role he was playing in the movie did affect his mental health to a great extent.
6. Dwayne Johnson: Popularly known as The Rock, this man has a long list of accomplishments in his bag. A footballer, wrestler, author, action star and family man, The Rock has had a wonderful career and personal life, but this was not always the case. During his twenties, Johnson went through a period of mayhem when his football career was at an all-time low. He failed to get selected by the NFL and was asked to leave the Canadian football team that he joined instead. He dealt with heavy depression during the following months and lived out of the basement of his parent’s house.
Johnson overcame his depression and concentrated on building a career in wrestling instead. Since then, he has been exceptionally successful in the various ventures he has undertaken.
He is quite vocal about his former troubles, and encourages people who suffer from depression, not to lose faith in themselves and others.
7. Karan Johar: A veteran Bollywood filmmaker and a popular talk show host, Karan Johar has quite recently, talked about his battle with depression. He was the victim of a couple of anxiety attacks, which drove him to a doctor. He was diagnosed with clinical depression and was put on anti-anxiety medicines, which he continued to take for about one and a half years. He has stopped taking them for some time now and is on his way to producing and directing many more blockbusters for the Indian and International audience.
8. Ellen DeGeneres: She may be a successful talk show host today, but this beloved personality has gone through quite a bit during the late 90s. After she officially came out as gay in 1997, Ellen experienced a lot of backlash. Her career was greatly affected, as her sitcom was discontinued and she was unemployed for quite a few years. This triggered a severe case of depression and anger, as she faced the ‘way of the world’ because of a choice that she could not control.
It was when she got the part of Dory, in the 2003 animation film Finding Nemo, that she overcame her sadness and was able to build up the courage to revive her career again. Today, Ellen describes herself as “insecure and sensitive” during that period of time. She says that she has left that part of herself behind and takes life today as it comes.
9. Manisha Koirala: A popular 90s Bollywood actress, Manisha Koirala had fought clinical depression, as a repercussion of a bad marriage followed by a divorce. The actress is also a cancer survivor and has bravely overcome both these conditions with medical help and care, along with the prized support and love of her family and friends. Koirala has been very vocal about her ailments on social media, addressing the issues and encouraging other sufferers to seek help. She stands as in inspiration to the world today!
10. Deepika Padukone: A much-admired name in mainstream cinema, this actress is currently on the top of her game but had faced problems with depression in the course of her life. She openly spoke about her issues with anxiety in an interview in 2015.
Although she initially related her problems to stress, with some encouragement from her mother, she consulted a psychologist, who diagnosed her with depression. She has admitted to taking medication for the problem and has since overcome the issue.
Deepika gives enormous credit to her supporting family and friends, who helped her find a way out through her troubled times. Today, she has taken a positive initiative and set-up an NGO to help other individuals get through depression.
The fact that there are many celebrities who have faced depression and anxiety along with mood disorders at some point in their lives, does not indicate that depression can only affect the rich and the famous. Anyone can become a victim of depression, and it is at this time that one should keep faith and seek necessary help.
Many celebs have been quite vocal about the way they have dealt with depression in order to make the media and people accept that such problems can occur and should be taken positively. If they can, anyone can overcome depression. Also, when in need, one can always rely on Portea’s expert counsellors.
To help people fight the battle of depression, Portea offers counselling services over call, chat and home visits. One can discuss their personal & emotional issues with our qualified counsellors from the comfort of your home. Visit: portea.typeathought.com to know more.
Note We at Medikoe provide you with the best healthcare articles written and endorsed by experts of the healthcare industry to boost you knowledge. However, we strongly recommend that users consult a doctor or concerned service provider for expert diagnosis before acting on this information.